From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Tim Kredlo
Sent: 18 November 2004 17:04
To: MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ChgJob

List,

I was including some CL lines from a co-workers' code and encountered the
following lines:
        Dcl        Var(&Date) Type(*Char) Len(6)
        ... Some other variable declarations here, but no reference to
"&Date"
        RtvJobA  Date(&Date)
        ChgJob   Date(&Date)

It did not appear to me that the ChgJob command really did anything in this
situation.
I thought that it was just getting the job date and then setting the job
date to what had been retrieved (itself).

I asked my co-worker if the ChgJob statement was necessary in this
situation,
since it was just setting the date to what it already had been.

He insisted it was absolutely necessary if I wanted 'UDATE' to reflect the
job date, rather than the system date.
I ran a couple of tests and got the same expected results with or without
the ChgJob statement.
(UDATE reflected the job date)

I again went to my co-worker.
He said that he couldn't explain it to me, but he insisted it was necessary.
He said he had proven it to himself a number of times, and I should just
accept it as being required.

Call me stubborn, but I can't 'just accept' his belief without some
evidence.

Can anyone explain to me why/how/when the combination of:
        RtvJobA  Date(&Date)
        ChgJob   Date(&Date),
WITH NO INTERMEDIATE LINES, would be required, or would even 'do anything'.

TIA

Tim Kredlo
Exterior Wood, Inc.