Jim,

We use Quadrant's FastFax Enterprise.  It may not be cost affordable from
what you are saying but I'll give a few thoughts out to you.

We used to use their FastFax/Blue product which was Fax/400 wrapped with
their management pieces.  Pretty rock solid with very few issues.  However,
like a lot of customers we used to use the IFA's, until we had to replace
them with a fax/modem, which in turn was replaced with another fax/modem.
The equipment replacement came with the change of SPD/PCI and the new OS
releases.  While it wasn't cost prohibitive I got a bit frustrated with the
removal of IBM support from said equipment, wanted to integrate with email
and other environments so we moved to the Enterprise product.  We use a T1
line, an external PC and things run very nicely.  We run a number of
outbound and inbound faxes.  The DNIS and DID routing is actually pretty
cool........

So, I'm not knocking the Fax/400 approach but I think it may not offer the
most flexibility.  That may or may not be a concern for you.  Generally I
don't like to have to piece solutions together (in this case a PC to the
iSeries).  However, the integration and integrity of the Enterprise
solution is very good.  My guess is that this solution may not be optimal
for your situation but thought I'd throw it out there.

Michael Crump
Manager, Computing Services
Saint-Gobain Containers
1509 S. Macedonia Ave.
Muncie, IN  47302
(765)741-7696
(765)741-7012 f
(800)428-8642

"The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us
from the support of a cause we believe to be just"  Abraham Lincoln

             Jim Franz
             <franz400@xxxxxxx
             r.com>                                                     To
                                       MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             11/10/2004 10:25                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Faxing from AS400
             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

I have been asked to review replacing an existing Fax Server (a
separate pc unit that reads as400 spooled files and has
software on as400 to manage traffic), with IBM's
internal fax cards and software for managing. This site does
200 - 500 outbound faxes a day over 2 lines, and weekly a batch
of 2,500. I am totally unfamiliar with the IBM software and looking
for comments on how easy to run by itself, daily reports or screens
of failures, and ease of use to resend, reprint, use  both *scs & *afpds
spools,
merge logos & forms with spools, etc.
Customer upgrading to i5 and this fax server is older
and needing an upgrade for a hefty sum (over 12k).
Approx 15 rpg programs sending faxes.
tia
jim