Scott,

I don't know how to get you to reproduce the problem.
If I could maybe I would know how NOT to produce it (Big grin).

Some differences I see, that may or may not be relevant.
I declare Mesg78_A at the end of the DDS format, rather than at the
beginning.
I am using input and output data structures with reads and writes to put/get
field values rather than 'exfrmt'.
(I could not get the input data structure to be filled or to write the
output data structure using 'exfrmt'. I'd sent an email to the list looking
for suggestions on how to do this using 'exfrmt' this but did not get any
replies. I would still be interested in finding out how to use these data
structures with exfrmt, if possible.)
Your example shows x'a9', my code generates x'A9'. Every table I looked at
listed 'A9'. Are these equivalent?

I am running this on a PC using Iseries Access for Windows V5.5, but I get
the same results if I run this on an IBM 3477 terminal.

The code to generate 'MESG78_A' involves passing the desired attributes to
external sub procedures that return the code that 'MESG78_A'  is to be
filled with, so I won't include this code. However, debug shows this code to
be 'z', the hex of 'A9', immediately before writing the screen, which is
what I expected. I am confident that part is working. Plus the fact that the
field is being displayed with the correct attributes, they just don't quit
when I want them to.
Everything from the beginning of Mesg78 to line24pos1 shows as RI/BL.

This is the entire DDS for this format.
Maybe someone can see something I am missing.

Again, if I replace DSPATR(MESG78_A) with DSPATR(RI BL), and not change ANY
of the RPG program, it works as expected.

A*  CIPB0004 - Enter new record information
A*
A          R CIPB0004           RTNCSRLOC(*WINDOW &ROW &COL)
A                                      CSRLOC(ROW COL)
A                                      HLPSEQ(CIPB00   04)
A                                      DSPMOD(*DS3)
A                                      PRINT
A  99                                ALARM
A                                      INVITE
A                                      SLNO(01)
A                                      CLRL(*NO)
A                                      ALWROL
A                                      CF01 CF03 CF07 CF11 CF12
A                                      HELP
A*
A            ROW            3S 0H
A            COL            3S 0H
A*
A            PGNAME         6   O  1  3
A            SCRNID         2   I  1 10DFT('04')
A                                      DSPATR(PR MDT)
A                                  1 23' Add a New Record '
A                                      DSPATR(RI)
A                                  3  9'Sequence#:'
A            SEQ#A          6D  B  3 20DSPATR(RI)
A                                      DSPATR(PR)
A                                  5 15'Part#:'
A            PRT#A          7D  B  5 22CHECK(RZ)
A                                      DUP
A                                      DSPATR(UL)
A                                      DSPATR(&PRT#A_A)
A                                  5 30'-'
A            PTDESC        25A  O  5 32
A                                  6 11'Condition:'
A            COND           1A  B  6 22DUP
A                                      DSPATR(UL)
A                                      DSPATR(&COND_A)
A                                  6 25'-'
A            ICDESC        50A  O  6 27
A                                      DSPATR(&COND_A)
A                                  7 14'Length:'
A            LENGA          3D  B  7 22CHECK(RB)
A                                      DUP
A                                      DSPATR(UL)
A                                      DSPATR(&LENGA_A)
A                                  8  2'Problem entered by:'
A            ENTUSR        10A  B  8 22DUP
A                                      DSPATR(UL)
A                                      DSPATR(&ENTUSR_A)
A                                  9  3'Problem Description:'
A            PDSC01        75A  B 10  3CHECK(LC)
A                                      DSPATR(UL)
A                                      DSPATR(&PDSC01_A)
A                                      DUP
A            PDSC02        75A  B 11  3CHECK(LC)
A                                      DSPATR(UL)
A                                      DUP
A                                      DSPATR(&PDSC01_A)
A            PDSC03        75A  B 12  3CHECK(LC)
A                                      DSPATR(UL)
A                                      DUP
A                                      DSPATR(&PDSC01_A)
A            PDSC04        75A  B 13  3CHECK(LC)
A                                      DSPATR(UL)
A                                      DUP
A                                      DSPATR(&PDSC01_A)
A                                 14  9'Resolved by:'
A            SLNUSR        10A  B 14 22DSPATR(UL)
A                                      DUP
A                                      DSPATR(&SLNUSR_A)
A                                 14 34'Inventory adjustment#:'
A            SLNIA#A        6D  B 14 57CHECK(RB)
A                                      DUP
A                                      DSPATR(UL)
A                                      DSPATR(&SLNIA#A_A)
A                                 15 11'Resolution:'
A            SDSC01        75A  B 16  3CHECK(LC)
A                                      DUP
A                                      DSPATR(UL)
A                                      DSPATR(&SDSC01_A)
A            SDSC02        75A  B 17  3CHECK(LC)
A                                      DUP
A                                      DSPATR(UL)
A                                      DSPATR(&SDSC01_A)
A            SDSC03        75A  B 18  3CHECK(LC)
A                                      DUP
A                                      DSPATR(UL)
A                                      DSPATR(&SDSC01_A)
A            SDSC04        75A  B 19  3CHECK(LC)
A                                      DUP
A                                      DSPATR(UL)
A                                      DSPATR(&SDSC01_A)
A                                 20 16'Code:'
A            CODE           1A  B 20 22CHECK(ER)
A                                      DUP
A                                      DSPATR(UL)
A                                      DSPATR(&CODE_A)
A            MESG78        78   O 22  2
A                                      DSPATR(&MESG78_A)
A                                 24  3'F12>'
A            LMSDSC        15   O 24  8
A                                 24 24'F1>Help'
A                                 24 32'F3>Exit'
A                                 24 40'F4>Pick'
A                                 24 48'F11>Change'
A            PRT#A_A        1A  P
A            COND_A         1A  P
A            LENGA_A        1A  P
A            ENTUSR_A       1A  P