To add some confusion, perhaps, I think the iSeries is the client in this case. So the inactivity time-out will have no effect, it's controlled by the server on the Linux box. If it were an iSeries server, it'd be possible to change 2 time-outs, both the inactivity one and a so-called transfer time-out. (I just learned of this recently.) Unfortunately, the help for it says that it is not an FTP standard and implemented only on iSeries.

But the good new is, there is a client subcommand, DEBUG, that might be helpful, and it's been around since V3R2. DEBUG 100 turns on an FTP client trace, which results in a spooled file - just executing a DIR got me 44 pages. Probably directly meaningful only to IBM support.

DEBUG non-zero is explained below.

The interesting thing is, you can set the inactivity and transfer time-outs for the client with this subcommand. Default inactivity is 600 seconds, transfer is 420. See below for more information (it's the help for this subcommand). DEBUG T1, e.g., tells you the value of the inactivity time-out.

DEBUG (Enable Display of Commands Send to Remote System)

To display the commands at the remote system, use the DEBUG
subcommand as follows:

DEBug [debug value]

DEBug   You can abbreviate subcommands to the most unique
  series of characters.

Debug value - Toggles the debugging mode.  If an optional
  debug-value is specified, it is used to set the debugging
  level. When debugging is on, each subcommand sent to the
  remote system is displayed, preceded by the string (>>>).
  If the debug value is 0, debugging is off.  If the debug
  value is a positive integer, debugging is on. If no value
  is specified, the debug value is toggled.

  When the debug value '100' is specified, an FTP client
  trace is initiated.  The client continues running the
  trace until DEBUG is turned off or until the FTP client is
  ended.  (When the trace is ended, there may be a
  significant delay while the trace data is formatted.)

DEBUG (To change the client time-out limit values)

This special debug option is provided to enable users to
change the client time-out limits when the default time- out
values are not long enough for a data transfer to complete
successfully. Changing these values should be necessary only
in situations where network traffic or other conditions
cause transfer times to become very large.

FTP client time-out values may be changed using the Debug
subcommand as follows:

DEBug    T1 | T2    [ value ]

T1 - When the first parameter is set to T1, it specifies
     that the FTP client time-out limit for reading server
     replies should be changed or displayed.

     If the FTP client does not return an expected server
     reply within this time limit, the client will close the
     control connection to the server.

T2 - When the first parameter is set to T2, it specifies
     that the FTP client time-out limit used while
     transferring data should be changed or displayed.

     If the FTP client does not receive an expected data
     connection response within this time limit, the client
     will close the data connection to the server.

value - The time-out limit in seconds. This value must be a
        positive number greater than zero.  When this
        parameter is omitted, the current value of the time-
        out limit is displayed.

For example,

       DEBUG  T1 900

sets the client time-out value for server replies to 900
seconds.

hth Vern