Couple of ideas,

If you are using IBM's Client Access ( aka iSeries Access), you can
configure the emulator to turn URLs into 'hotspots' that can be clicked on
by a mouse, thus opening the image.

Or, you could also set up a function key to send a STRPCCMD that does a
'start \\path\filename.jpg' which would open the image in the default image
program.

HTH,

Charles Wilt
iSeries Systems Administrator / Programmer
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343