Sorry, the subject was wrong (it should be V5R2)...

Thanks!

Peter Vidal

----- Forwarded by Peter Vidal/Clearwater/Pall on 11/02/2004 04:46 PM
-----

Peter Vidal/Clearwater/Pall@Pall
11/02/2004 04:40 PM
Please respond to Midrange Systems Technical Discussion

        To:     midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:
        Subject:        MCH3203 - IBM Explanation applies to V5R3

Today, we got this message in a program.
This has been very well documented everywhere:

50   11/02/04  01:11:52.198856  QWTPITPP     QSYS        0754     *EXT
  Message . . . . :   Job ended abnormally because of error code MCH3203.

  Cause . . . . . :   The job was ended by the system because an error was

    found, and the job was in a condition where the process default
exception
    handler (QMHPDEH) could not be given control. The system will not give

    control to QMHPDEH when the job is in between the starting phase and
the
    problem phase, or between the problem phase and the ending phase. Some

of
    the more common error codes and their meanings follow:

    MCH3203 - A machine
    function check occurred.  The most likely cause is that the program
stack
    for a routing step was nested too deeply.  This is probably due to
repeated
    calling of the programs.

Once upon a time, IBM answered like this:

/===========================================/

"The error is due to overflow in the activation mark counter for the job
(each job has one such counter).  Within a job, each activation group,
program (re)activation and service program (re)activation uses an
activation mark which is an integer ID unique within that job.  As of V4R5
and V5R1, at the SLIC level the counter is an 8-byte integer, while at the
MI level only the 4 low-order bytes are used...

This scenario will typically appear in very large, long-running jobs,
typically server jobs or batch jobs processing large amounts of data.
Suggestions on avoiding this problem revolve around reducing usage of
activation marks to ensure the counter does not overflow:
 o   Avoid running programs in activation group *NEW unless there is a
     functional reason to do so.
 o   Avoid deactivating/reactivating programs unnecessarily (for example,
     in ILE RPG turn the LR indicator on only when it is really necessary;
     otherwise, use RETURN).
 o   Split up data processing into multiple smaller jobs, if viable.

 o   End/restart server jobs as needed."

/===========================================/

My question is:  is this answer applicable to V5R2??

TIA,
Peter Vidal
PALL Corporation
SR Programmer Analyst
5775 Rio Vista Drive, Clearwater, FL 33760-3137

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful
servant.  We have created a society that honors the servant and has
forgotten the gift."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
list