Sorry, it's still an issue.  If it's supposed to download the needed
codepage how can I check to see which codepages are loaded on both the PC
and iSeries?  Can it be installed via Client Access?  We have no real need
to have a Japanese codepage on the iSeries other than having it available
for a for such an occasion.  We have a very limited number (2 or 3) of
Japanese associates who could conceivably need this.  They all know English
well enough that we don't need to have a secondary language on the iSeries.

Dave Parnin
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571
daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      Bruce Vining

                      <bvining@xxxxxxxxxx>        To:       Midrange Systems
Technical Discussion
                      Sent by:
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>@SMTP@CTB
                      midrange-l-bounces@m        cc:       (bcc: David A
Parnin/Topeka/NISCO/SPCO)
                      idrange.com                 Subject:  Re: Client Access
codepage issue

                      11/02/2004 11:57 AM

                      Please respond to

                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical Discussion

                      <midrange-l@midrange

                      .com>

Hopefully you have found that this is a non-issue.

iSeries Access for Windows does not automatically ship all possible
conversion tables on the PC as that would represent a significant amount of
storage.  Instead a subset of the possible conversion tables are installed
on the PC and additional tables are downloaded from the iSeries if and when
they are needed.  When one of these optional tables is needed the user is
prompted for the userid and password to connect to the iSeries (if they are
not currently signed on that is) in order to download the table and then
the table is downloaded.  Once installed on the PC the user should not see
this prompt again.

             daparnin@cooperst
             andard.com
             midrange-l-bounce         midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                             cc

                                                                   Subject
             11/01/2004 08:03          Client Access codepage issue
             AM

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion

Good morning,

I've got a code problem and I'm not entirely sure if it's an issue on the
PC or AS/400.  The PC in question belongs to one of our Japanese
associates.  This person regularly receives documents and correspondence in
Japanese so the PC has the Japanese character set loaded.  Everything works
fine when starting a PC5250 session.  The problem is when they start a
Showcase query.  Showcase uses ODBC to access files on the AS/400.  When
starting to work on the query you are prompted with the Client Access
sign-on.  The problem here is that after you enter your user-id and
password you get the message:

"To Access this resource you need to sign on to the iSeries server.
Resource:  Code Page conversion table (943 to 5026)."

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.