Geez Jerry, you know how long IBM has used that boilerplate?  And you're
just now asking?

Don't feel bad, I've never understood this mumbo-jumbo either; it definitely
falls in the clear-as-mud category.  Lessee...

> PTF/FIX #: SI09498 - Operating System/400
> LICENSED PROGRAM: 5722SS1
>
> SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS :
> ----------------------
>
>   ********************************************************************
>   THE FOLLOWING ARE SUPERSEDED SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS. IF THE SUPERSEDED
>   PTF HAS ALREADY BEEN APPLIED AND ITS SPECIAL INSTRUCTION FOLLOWED,
>   IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO FOLLOW THAT SPECIAL INSTRUCTION AGAIN.
>   ********************************************************************
>
> SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUPERSEDED PTF SI09377 :
>
> If this PTF is applied or removed as a "Delayed" PTF, which
> requires an IPL, no special consideration is necessary. If this
> PTF is applied or removed "Immediate", this should be done in
> restricted mode (apply the PTF from the system console after
> ending all of the subsystems).

My questions:
What if I had previously installed the superseded PTF and did NOT follow the
special instruction?  What do I do then?  Should I remove it so it can be
reinstalled with the special instruction followed?  Or should I apply the
*new* superseding PTF and then follow the superseded PTF's special
instruction?  What if I don't remember whether I followed the special
instructions for the superseded PTF when I installed it last year?  What if
the superseded PTF's special instructions conflict with those for the
superseding PTF?  Should I apply the PTF with a sledgehammer then?

Why the h*ll does IBM print the superseded PTF's special instructions?

Trying not to let this ruin my weekend,
db