Jared,

Do you have an old passport?  When I had problems with my (Canadian)
passport renewal, I was told by US immigration that for the Canada crossing
an old one is OK - after all, for years all you needed was a driving
license.

If you decide to try, bring as many things with you, photo id (driving lic.
etc.) and US income tax returns, as you can.  Chances are that Canada will
let you in _but_ your airline may not let you on the plane in the first
place without acceptable docs.  Ask the airline.

You will have a bigger problem getting back into the US - but at least you
clear US Customs here in Toronto, so you can always join all the other
ex-pats and just stay here! <grin>

Jon Paris
Partner400
www.Partner400.com