From: Ingvaldson, Scott [mailto:SIngvaldson@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 9:17 AM
To: 'midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: Host Name On 2nd LPAR

Check the Host name search priority (HOSTSCHPTY) parm on CFGTCP option 12.
If this is set to *Remote then the system will search your network DNS
(should be listed in the Domain name server: Internet address parm) first to
resolve the host name.  In theory it should check the local host table next,
but sometimes funny things happen...  If you switch HOSTSCHPTY to *Local it
will use the local host table to resolve the host name.  Also you should
have both the short name and the qualified name in the local host table if
you intend to use that.  We once had a network guy that named a test PC the
same as our test iSeries and that effectively messed up the network DNS
entries for this system.

If you are trying to ping the second partion from your workstation you will
either need the host name set up in you network DNS or you will have to set
up a local host table entry (usually hosts or lmhosts) locally on your PC.

Unless this is a temporary system it should probably be set up in the
network DNS.  This will save you the headache of having to try to find every
other hardcoded host table entry when something changes.

Regards,

Scott Ingvaldson
iSeries System Administrator
GuideOne Insurance Group