To get around all those very nasty '''''' and getting
the combo to work, create the search string in a variable
like this:

dcl &sel *char len(22) value('*if txsuf *eq "xxxxx" ')

more clp stuff

chgvar var(%sst(&sel 16 5)) value(&var5)

Then your statement looks like this:

 CPYF  FROMFILE(VATTBL) TOFILE(*PRINT) +
>         INCREL((&sel)))

Dan Bale wrote:
Well, here is the example I am trying to get to work:

  Dcl   &Var5    *Char  (    5   ) Value( 'MI   ')
  Dcl   &A       *Char  (    1   ) Value( '''' )
  CPYF  FROMFILE(VATTBL) TOFILE(*PRINT) +
        INCREL((*IF TXSUF *EQ  ( &A *cat &Var5 *cat &A )))

TXSUF is a 5-byte alpha.  Still getting the CPF2843 error.  The job log
shows:

 700 - CPYF FROMFILE(AMFLIB/VATTBL) TOFILE(*PRINT)
         INCREL((*IF TXSUF *EQ '''MI   '''))

CL dump shows:

Variable  Type   Length  Value         Value in Hexadecimal
&A        *CHAR     1    '''           7D
&VAR5     *CHAR     5    'MI   '       D4C9404040