I am not in the camp that all reporting must be strictly controlled by the
MIS department and that all queries, etc must be generated by them.
Normally what happens in a shop like this is that a second system is built
up and a bunch of data gets duplicated and the users look more and more at
the iSeries, and the IS department, as being inflexible.

We have our users use queries.  And they can modify them also.  We've had
users upload PC data to the iSeries because they found Query/400 a great
tool.  And they used that for their reporting.

I've heard that Crystal reports is nice because, not only can you use it
on db2 data but you can query Notes data, etc as well.  And we have people
who do cross those lines.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Mike Berman <mikeba777@xxxxxxxxx>
10/06/2004 03:18 PM
Please respond to

cc

Fax to

Subject
RE: MIS Departmental improvements

Thank you for your responses. I think what I want to understand is if
there is a software product or process that you have implemented or would
do so. How this would improve the MIS Functioning. For example, I would
like to implement Crystal Reports so that the user could have their query
and make the parameter changes as they need.

Dwayne Allison <Dwayne.Allison@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:The user is the most
important part of the puzzle. I would say develop a language where the
user and MIS department meet. A lot of time we use words that do not mean
anything to them. They have a problem and want to know when it will be
solved. They want to go across the street and we want to explain to them
the inside of how the signal light works. Get them across the street, and
see how nice they can be. Explain to them what is considered not working.
I had a user who was trying to enter data. The file was lock, so the could
not enter the information. After trying for about an hour the user decided
to contact the support line and found that we were doing updates. May rule
here is if you smell smoke than we have a fire, contact the IT department.
Don't wait until you see the flames.