Rob,

I have always been instructed to keep drives in a RAID set as close to the
same size as possible to avoid the types of problem you are encountering.

Again, Alexei has stated what I have always understood.  The configuration
in question will always have a problem, no matter in what type of system
it is installed.  Many other systems would not even let you create a RAID
configuration of this type, as a number of RAID controller cards will
require identical size disks to create a RAID 5 set, if they will let you
configure mismatched drives, it would only be as a RAID 0 (JBOD) set,
which does not have parity protection.

Seems to me the only way to improve your situation is to modify you RAID
set, either add additional drives to lessen the I/O load, or preferably,
replace the odd sized drive with one or more drives to balance the RAID
set.

Good Luck,

Keith Blazek
MIS Coordinator

Alexei Pytel <pytel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 10/01/2004 06:14:53 PM:

> To me it does not look like a RAID problem per se.
> 53  4327    70564  74.9  131.3      5.9    47.3   83.9
> 54  4327    35282  74.9   50.7      6.6    13.8   36.8
> 55  4327    35282  74.9   70.0      5.6    22.0   47.9
>
> I think, in this configuration the problem is because there is a
> significant imbalance in unit size.
> Unit 53 is twice the size of other two.  Having set aside potential hot
> spots, normally I/O load is spread proportionally to amount of data
stored
> on the drive, which again is roughly proportional to disk size.
> As a result, unit 53 has to handle twice the load. If I/O load is light,

> this is not an issue, but with heavy load this unit will be simply
> overloaded.
> RAID configurations are always somewhat unbalanced in size, but usually
> not so much (25% on 4-unit set, 12.5% on 8-unit set).
> This configuration is simply not for heavy disk workload.
>
> You will have to frequently rebalance data to keep data allocation
> "skewed" to compensate for disk size imbalance.
> Adding one drive to the RAID set will make all drives equal in size,
which
> is very very importnat for disk performance under heavy load.
>
>     Alexei Pytel
> always speaking for myself only
>
> Where is the beginning of the end, which ends the beginning?
>

> rob@xxxxxxxxx
> Sent by: midrange-l-bounces+pytel=us.ibm.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> 10/01/2004 04:10 PM
> Please respond to
> Midrange Systems Technical Discussion

> midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> cc
>
> Subject
> Three drive raid set.
>

> Anyone else out there have serious performance issues with a three drive

> raid set?  We are.  And we even ran STRASPBAL.  IBM tried iDoctor, etc.
> Nothing out of the ordinary.  So, their suggestion is a STRASPBAL
*ENDALC
> and then add them back in with STRASPBAL *CAPACITY.
>
> Our BP says he knows of another customer that had the same issue but
just
> ordered another drive and it was solved.  Never opened pmr with IBM.
>
> Trying to find a few "me too's", hopefully with pmr #'s, to encourage
IBM