Thanks for all the responses. We ended up gunzipping on a Unix or Linux box, ftp'ing back to the AS400 and then tar worked just fine.

Scott -- I'll definitely be downloading the AS400 version of gunzip from the link you posted.

As it turns out the whole exercise may have been in vain though. I needed gunzip to Extract the ant software.... needed the ant software to run an XML build file..... and needed the XML build file to download and build the iText Java PDF conversion software. Unfortunately one of those steps requires the j2ee.jar file, which doesn't seem to be on our machine. At least it's not amongst our other Java files as far as I can tell. And since we may end up buying HelpSystems PDF conversion tool, don't know if it's worthwhile spending any more time on the iText product.

Anybody out there using the iText Java PDF conversion software or HelpSystem's TRANSFORM? We've got Robot Reports which has the ability to create a PDF for a report distribution but it looks like we'll have to buy TRANSFORM separately if we want to convert reports ad hoc. Sounds like we'll be paying extra for an API that's already on the machine if you ask me. Waiting to here back from their Tech Support.

Mike

Get ready for school! Find articles, homework help and more in the Back to School Guide! http://special.msn.com/network/04backtoschool.armx