Art,

Send me an email.  You could use my MAILTOOL utility to get
 much better trace of what's going on.  MAILTOOL will allow
you to bypass the IBM SMTP server and send emails directly
and with debugging you can see everything that happens
during the communications.

If for testing only, it should help with a trial key.

Brad