From: Jeff Crosby [mailto:jlcrosby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 9:04 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: Backup before release update

I am planning on installing V5R3 (from V5R2) this weekend.  In the past I
have always done a GO SAVE option 21 just prior to upgrading releases.  In
thinking about this, I have a question in regards as do I really have to do
this.

Every Friday night we do the following backup:

        SAVSECDTA
        SAVCFG (along with RTVCFGSRC and saving that object as well)
        SAVLIB *NONSYS
        SAVDLO DLO(*ALL)
        SAV OBJ(('/*') ('/QSYS.LIB' *OMIT) ('/QDLS' *OMIT) +
             ('/ImageCatalogs' *OMIT))

Friday morning I will do the following backup:

        SAVSYS
        SAVLIB LIB(*IBM)

If I do both the above, does the option 21 save really gain me anything?  If
a recovery is necessary to where I have to reload everything, I know I can
reload from the option 21 save.  Can I reload from the SAVSYS?

The upgrade guide says on page 55 "Tapes that are created with the Save
System (SAVSYS) command cannot be used with the automatic install process.
These tapes also do not provide a complete backup."  I understand the second
sentence.  Is the first sentence telling me I can't _reload_ from the SAVSYS
or that I just can't do an automatic install?

Do the rest of you do an option 21 save just before any release upgrade, or
use your regular backup strategy as being sufficient?

Thanks.

--
Jeff Crosby
Dilgard Frozen Foods, Inc.