A serious question:  Now that you have done it, would you say that you would
have been better off just writing the RPG program?

My experience with UIM is one application, a WRKSPLF clone, written by Mike
Cravitz back in '96.  I modified it to better suit my needs, and even that
was a pain in the <horse's arse>.  There's still some behavioral
characteristics that I haven't been able to duplicate like IBM's Work With
UIMs.  For example, in my version of LSTSPLF, option 9 is CPYSPLF.  Usually,
I like to type some of the parameters on the command line, especially if I'm
using the option on multiple entries.  Unfortunately, if you do that *and*
press F4 to prompt CPYSPLF, the parameters you typed on the command line
don't "carry forward" into the command prompt.  Little crud like that
"encouraged" me to waste hours of time on a dead end.  Maybe it's better
now, but I remember being frustrated at the lack of useful UIM
documentation.  In the end, I had (and still have) a working application
but, IMNSHO, UIM is just too much of a pain to work with.  Maybe if it came
with an SDA-like developer tool it could be easier to work with.

db