The reasons for *LOCAL 1) Speed, quicker to look at the host file then the DNS (this assumes you have something in the host file you want to find) 2) you are faking out what is in the DNS zone file. Say for mail you have your router/firewall setup to forward request to a mail server behind it for the outside world. This does not work so well from inside so you put a host record on the AS400 with the internal IP address. (I am not sure this is a good example, and I never recommend doing this.)

The alias is something I choose to have and was recommended by the software, and I think is kind of left over from earlier, just like naming the mail server host mail. There is two sides to the alias for emails (account@xxxxxxxxxx), 1 is for the account side I can have an alias for account called support, or whatever I also want that account to be known by so I can send mail to support@xxxxxxxxxx and it ends up in the same mailbox. Now for the other side of the @ I can setup an alias for domain.com and have it also known by mail.domain.com so if mail arrives for account@xxxxxxxxxx or account@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx it ends up in the same mail box. I also have other domain alias; netshare400.com and erp400.com are the same accounts with erp400.com being an alias for netshare400.com

John Ross
www.ERP400.com
www.Netshare400.com

Richard wrote:
John,

Thanks for the suggestions, I have a couple of question about your reply..

Could you explain why or when I would/should use Host name search priority
*LOCAL versus *REMOTE as mentioned in your reply?

Could you elaborate on "your mail software has an alias of mail" is that
something I should know about our mail? Is this something you chose to have
or your mail software is just written that way? Could you explain what a
mail alias is and what it is used for?

When I tested using TELNET to my mail server I did use Port 25 when I got
the error message "sosrv35.xxxx.xxxx.ops.us.uu.net ESMTP not accepting
messages"

Thanks

John

-----Original Message----- From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Ross Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 7:41 PM To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion Subject: Re: SNDDST problem emailing internally

Look at CHGTCPDMN (f4) does this look like
Host name search priority . . . *LOCAL
if it does not have to be *LOCAL change it to *REMOTE I do not think anything needs to be restarted. I am not for sure what all it looks at when *LOCAL (some are going to say the host file, but I feel it is more then that), but it tries to deliver the mail to the AS400.

Another thing I do is my mail software has an alias of mail so I add that to the address spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx that forces it to host of mail instead of looking for MX records or an A record

I am not sure what the message means you did not say if you telneted on port 25 (SMTP) (not the default port for telnet port 23) and if you got it right away. I could telnet in on port 25 but not 23

John Ross

John Allen wrote:

I know this has been covered before, and I have read through many messages
in the archives but have not found the solution.

I have set up our AS/400 to use SNDDST and I can send emails to people
outside of our domain (such as georeg@xxxxxxxxx or frank@xxxxxxx)
But I cannot send emails to anyone in our company (example to myself)

I see in the archives that I should try to telnet to our mail server and I
attempted that. I get a message:
sosrv35.xxxx.xxxx.ops.us.uu.net ESMTP not accepting messages I cannot find in the archives what this message means (I am not a telnet

or

SMTP guru)

Can anyone point me to the next step I should take in trouble shooting

this.

1) Why can I send emails outside but not within our company
2) What does the telnet message mean?

Thanks for any assistance you have to offer

-- This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-L) mailing list To post a message email: MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options, visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/midrange-l or email: MIDRANGE-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.