Tom Liotta wrote:
Thomas:

There's no way to tell from what you've sent whether your example would work or
not.

You show a profile/password, but is it a local PC user or a network profile and
how is authentication done on that PC? Domain? Workgroup?

Domain, but I had tried local as well.  Both did not work.

What properties were specified on the iSeries Access properties panel for
Incoming Remote Command?

Command mode: New console
Run as system: yes
Cache Security: no
Allow generic security: yes
Generic security runs command as logged-on user: yes

And is that the actual PC command you want to run? I.e., do you want it to run
as if it were typed by an interactive PC user on a Windows command line? Or do
you want it to run as a background task? or...? Aren't there any parms you want
passed to the PC program?

Ideally I would like the PC command sent to be run as if typed by the logged on user via a command line.

Overall, I'd say RUNRMTCMD is a far better choice than STRPCO/STRPCCMD, but it
does require more setup work up front.

As for logging, the REXEC jobs on your AS/400 have nothing to do with this; those
jobs allow other systems to run remote commands on your AS/400. The logging you'll
need will be on the PC if any is created. Look in Control Panel=>Administrative
Tools=>Event Viewer.

Thanks for the clarification on REXEC I had misunderstood its use until this thread.

Unfortunately the event viewer showed nothing relating to my failed attempts to use RUNRMTCMD. No application errors, no security errors. I had hoped that there was some kind of logging that could be turned on via the service but I haven't seen anything yet.

Tom Liotta

midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

 6. Re: RUNRMTCMD (Thomas Hauber)

You are correct that the program I am attempting to run is not a batch
program.  I just tried the STRPCO and STRPCCMD and they worked first
time out with my test.

Curious.  I couldn't find anything in the manuals or help text with
Client Access that mentioned these command as alternatives to RUNRMTCMD.

CWilt@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Was the PC application you are trying to run?

If it is an interactive application such as Acrobat Reader or Word, as Eric
has mentioned, STRPCCMD is a better choice.  RUNRMTCMD is designed for batch
applications and there are gotchas when trying to use it for an interactive
app.

If it is a batch application, does it make use of any network resources?