The cost difference between SEU and CODE/400?  $0.00.  Oh I suppose some
will argue that's hiding the true cost.  Because you'll need a beefier PC,
etc.  However:
1)  SEU requires a 5250 client, most, including iSeries Access, aren't
free.
2)  SEU requires the interactive tax.
So, if you want to argue about 'hidden costs' don't forget those.  And we
just shelled out $250,000 for the interactive tax.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

qsrvbas@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Tom Liotta)
09/08/2004 03:25 PM
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Fax to

Subject
RE: is this a hint or what?

midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   3. Re: is this a hint or what? (Brad Stone)
>
>But, the main question is, unless one of these editors is
>free (or even $100 or so), I'm sticking with SEU.  It works
>great for me, and I am very productive with it.

Interesting point. Anybody care to comment on the cost difference between
SEU and, say, CODE/400 nowadays?

>  And I
>don't want to install some thick client just for writing
>applications...  Not everyone has 100 gig of memory for
>IBM's PC based applications.  LOL!

Hard to find anything wrong with this sentiment. Those of us who began
serious programming back when systems were "8K _PLUS_ a 4K expansion box!"
might never sympathize with any requirement for all those giga-hertz of
mega-ram that every single app seems to need nowadays.

What's worse, it seems the more memory my PCs have and the faster the
processors and the more unused disk, the slower the _very same apps_ run.
I run iSeries Access on my laptop and get performance with iSeries
Navigator that's not perceptibly different from running on my desktop with
four times the memory and twice the processor speed and double the unused
disk space. (W2K laptop and WXP desktop.)

Sigh.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
As low as $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at
http://isp.netscape.com/register

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

list