 from WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University (among other sources)

splat

 Name used in many places (DEC, IBM, and others) for the
 asterisk ("*") character (ASCII 0101010). This may derive
 from the "squashed-bug" appearance of the asterisk on many
 early line printers.

             Jeffrey Lee
             <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  Midrange Systems Technical
             midrange-l-bounce         Discussion
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             09/07/2004 03:01                                      Subject
             PM                        Re: C Language

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion

I'm in C part 2 at LSU... some days I wish I had a gun.

My teacher is a nice guy (British) and all but I cant ever understand
what he is talking  about.

* = "splat" in his class