> It's working great, except for a couple thing.  When I send ascii text as
> an attachment, the files show up in the body of the email as clear text,
> rather than being attachments.

Usually the term "clear text" is the opposite of "encrypted text."  But
you seem to be using it to mean that a file is showing up "inline" with
the rest of the e-mail message rather than as an attachment.  Am I
interpreting that correctly?

I'm not familiar with this particular program.  Does it say
header tells the e-mail client to treat it as an attachment.

For example:

--BoundaryBoundaryBoundary

<file data goes here>
--BoundaryBoundaryBoundary--

> What causes this to happen?  is it the file extention (.csv in this
> case)?  something in the mime header?  does is have to do with the email
> client that recieves it?

Yeah, something in the MIME header.  The Content-disposition field can be
"attachment" or "inline".  If neither is given, then it's up to the e-mail
client.

Of course, the e-mail client could just ignore the header altogether -- if
it does that, there's nothing you can do except complain to the author.

> also, I would like a little more flexability to format the email body -
> actually, i'd just like to start a new line every now and then.   I tried
> inserting a CrLf (x'15') but that was replaced by dots  ââ

x'15' is not CRLF.  CRLF is two characters, carriage return (x'0d')
followed by a line feed (x'25')  So, you want to insert x'0d25' into your
data to signal a CRLF.