From: Pat Barber [mailto:mboceanside@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2004 10:58 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: connecting 2 as400s

Since all the new "I" boxes come standard with a
2 line SDLC card, I don't the handwriting is quite as clear as you would
think.

FTP and ethernet are really sporty but they are not up to the "safe" and
"dependable" factor of SDLC/SNA.

I wouldn't plan on seeing the end of that anytime soon.

Ethernet is just another way to get there, not the only way.

The "cheap way" is not always the "best way".

Pete Massiello wrote:

> One thing to remember is if your getting a new i5, is that the
> embedded Ethernet controller does NOT support SNA.  It will allow
> ANYNET over TCP, but you can no longer do straight SNA out of your
> 5706 Ethernet card.  So, it looks like we can see the hand writing on
> the wall, that IBM is making its move that TCP is the preferred delivery
mechanism.