That can cause real performance problems - they may seem to work ok, but if
they are set to 100/half on both ends, or a step up to 100/full on both,
performance will be much better.
Setting the Switch (we use Cisco 3524pwr's) ports for clients at Auto and
the Adapter -<should> be the initial starting point.
Our 400 and the switch port as well are playing nicely together like this.

AS400 Ethernet adapter:
Line description . . . . . . . . . :   CTCAS400
Option . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :   *BASIC
Category of line . . . . . . . . . :   *ELAN

Resource name  . . . . . . . . . . :   CMN05
Online at IPL  . . . . . . . . . . :   *YES
Vary on wait . . . . . . . . . . . :   *NOWAIT
Network controller . . . . . . . . :   CTCASNET
Local adapter address  . . . . . . :   000629ECB09B
Exchange identifier  . . . . . . . :   05671400
Ethernet standard  . . . . . . . . :   *ALL
Enable for TCP/IP  . . . . . . . . :   *NO
Line speed . . . . . . . . . . . . :   *AUTO
Current line speed . . . . . . . . :   100M
Duplex . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :   *AUTO
Current duplex . . . . . . . . . . :   *FULL
Maximum controllers  . . . . . . . :   40
Switch port:
!
interface FastEthernet0/23
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q