Dave -

It's been a long time, but back in the dark recesses of my hazy memory I
recall that the biggest issue that most folks had with the V3R1 to V3R2
upgrade was running out of memory for the upgrade due to not permanently
applying all PTF's before they started.  That said you may still not be
successful due to the missing PTF.

Certainly you can scratch install V3R2, then restore everything from your
tapes.  After you *backlevel QGPL and QUSRSYS you should be able to fix it
by slip installing the O/S only.  This might save your license keys, I'm not
sure.

Bottom line, if you have good backups you can always re-install V3R1.

In the dark recesses of my basement I'm sure that I have a V3R2 Backup and
Recovery guide so if you find that you need one let me know and I'll dig it
out.

Regards,

Scott Ingvaldson
iSeries System Administrator