I HIGHLY recommend the image catalog.  We had a bad CD and this was nice to
find out prior to loading the 10 CD's before it.  The other programmers who
hung around during the load loved it.  No sticking in of CD's at all.  No
having to wait for the light to stop blinking prior to answering the
message in QSYSOPR, etc.

Now, when you start talking about storing V5R3, cumes, groups, etc all in
the image catalog, you better have about 5GB of disk to allocate for
this.  But it's only temporary.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|
|   Vern Hamberg              |                                           |
|   <vhamberg@centerfieldtechn|                                           |
|   ology.com>                |                                         To|
|   Sent by:                  |                                     Midran|
|   midrange-l-bounces@midrang|                                     ge    |
|   e.com                     |                                     System|
|                             |                                     s     |
|   07/28/2004 10:46 AM       |                                     Techni|
|                             |                                     cal   |
|         Please respond to   |                                     Discus|
|         Midrange Systems    |                                     sion  |
|       Technical Discussion  |                                     <midra|
|      <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxx|                                     nge-l@|
|                m>           |                                     midran|
|                             |                                     ge.com|
|                             |                                     >     |
|                             |                                         cc|
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                    Subject|
|                             |                                     Re:   |
|                             |                                     5.3   |
|                             |                                     upgrad|
|                             |                                     e     |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|

Went very well - I was even doing it with the early ship (beta version). Do
what Al says, which is basically, read the install manual, read it again,
choose your install method, do a dry walk-through, then do the real
install, and do every step. Check them off as you go. It's fussy but will
almost guarantee a pain-free install.

This includes clean up -- permanent applies of PTFs, etc.

If you are a little brave, you could use virtual CD - image catalogs. It
saves plugging in CDs during the install. But if you have never used them,
this may not be the time to learn. We are a development house and I could
afford to - production shops have to be more careful, not dareful (as I
first typed it).

And you have a full system backup, right? If not, do it.

HTH
Vern