> Cusor movement indicates a "communications error".

Assuming it's a physical Twinax device, I recommend you check your cabling
and any switchboxes you might have.

We have one Twinax switchbox (the one on my terminal, since I can't trust
it with anybody else), the oldest of the three we have, that has a
tendency to do this repeatedly after switching from one host to another,
unless the knob is jiggled to seat the contacts as completely as possible.

On cabling, look for cold-solders and (based on the experiences of another
List member) the possibility that somebody might have put a bullet (or a
birdshot pellet) through the cable.

Also, I've noticed that if you're using a 3489 with a mouse, connected to
an old CISC box at V2R3, mouse gestures that work fine (or at least don't
do anything bad) on a mouse-equipped 3487 will crash your terminal
session.

--
JHHL