> From: CWilt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> First off, I'm not doing a select into.  I'm opening a cursor and
doing a
> single row fetch.  Here's the point of the exercise:

We've established in earlier testing that opening and closing a cursor
for each transaction is even slower than select into.  Sorry, I got
confused and assumed you were using the faster method or a moment.

> Of course I'm not showing all the code, you don't either.  The post
was
> intended to show the select used to build the cursor and the fact that
the
> application logic didn't change much.  The GetSysVal I'm using is the
same
> one you're using.  You didn't show the code for it but you're knocking
me
> for it?

Chain (company : key) sysctl;
If not %found(sysctl);
  Chain (' ' : key) sysctl;
Endif;
Return value;

In order to get the performance you need, you would have to include this
in your original SQL statement.  However, if you continue to form,
Charles, what you will do is simply replace my I/O statements with more
SQL.  It will run slower, be more complex, and take longer to compile,
but you will present it as a comparable solution.  This is where we
fundamentally disagree.

Because the code you are writing is slow, complex, requires more syntax,
and takes longer to compile, I see no good business reason to use it.
There are TERRIFIC reasons to use SQL for some things, but this is not
one of them.

> Using native I/O you have to read the entire
> record into the buffer just to look at one field.

Yeah, but it performs better than your code.  AND it gives me access to
all the fields.  Why is this bad?

I think we may just be at an impasse, Charles.

Joe