From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of jared
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 9:27 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: does PAM for AS400 exist?

Sorry for not being more specific, I'm in the process of figuring out what
"pluggable authentication" means myself.  The sense I have about PAM is
that it's a generic API for defining how username/password pairs are
actually processed, and can be used for stuff like single signon.  Not
strictly a Java thing...originally developed at Sun, now used widely on
Linux.

I stumbled onto EIM about an hour ago, and my followup question was going
to be "can one use EIM to define the actual backend auth scheme for a
particular application, or (possibly) for the entire system?"  From the
intro articles/diagrams I looked at, it seemed mostly like a way for two
systems to map (already authenticated) usernames between each other.

I found some decent EIM docs, so I'll read for a while and see if I can't
figure out what I'm asking. :)

-jared