John,

In some of the cases, no, adopted authority does not run with BOTH
authorities.  Instead it seems to run with neither.  Like CRTUSRPRF with
certain group profile information.

I wasn't looking it as a security exposure.  I was looking at it as "Why
block using adopted authority in the first place if they are going to give
you some other workaround?".

I tried using SCNMSGF to find that exact message id again, but I can't
find it now.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"John Earl" <john.earl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
07/16/2004 08:55 PM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Adopted authority vs profile switching

Rob,

I don't really understand the question, because profile switching and
adoption are two pretty different things.

When I run a program that adopts your authority, I am now running with
my authority + your authority.

If I switch to your profile, I am no longer carrying any of my
authority, I only have your authority.

So switching is a new capability, not a replacement of an old
capability.

Also, to answer the question of the "security exposure" that switching
might introduce, I don't really see it.  If I have *USE authority to
your profile I can assume your identity in a number of ways.  Yes I can
switch to it, but I also can submit a job as you, or add your name to a
JOBD and have any number of batch, pre-start, or communications jobs run
as you.  So the profile switching API's are a natural extension of
capability that is already out there.  They don't introduce any new
security exposures, thought they may highlight some existing ones (such
as the fact that some of your users have *USE or better authority to
other users profiles).

JMHO,

jte

--
John Earl | Chief Technology Officer
The PowerTech Group

This email message and any attachments are intended only for the use of
the intended recipients and may contain information that is privileged
and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any
dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you
received this email message in error, please immediately notify the
sender by replying to this email message, or by telephone, and delete
the message from your email system.
--

list