Paul, et al...

thing with tape that's different than say a CD/DVD is that tape handles
errors better...it writes a block, then tries to write a second
block...and if that second block is  a few meters down the way, so beit...

I would check your EREP for tape errors on both media and the device...and
when was the last time the tape unit was cleaned???

Don in DC

Home of JAM 2004 - The OS/400 and AIXL technical conference
www.wash-midrange.org/jam.html