Depending on your time frame and budget, you might consider using an
existing third-party database auditing application.  Why re-invent the
wheel?

DataThread from Innovatum comes to mind, although I am sure there are
others.  I have limited experience, but it appears to have the
features you need, including the ability to selectively track changes
based on column values, and to select whether to use triggers or
journals.

Good luck.

--
Tom Jedrzejewicz