I did some tests few weeks ago since I need to log programs
call (the parameters part). Since the parameter area can
range from 10 to 32000 but the average is 200 bytes I coded
a PF with 54 bytes of various fileds and a field 32000
varlen.
The tests added 1000 records with the varying filed set to
200, 10000 and 32000.
The "cost" for the 200 was 328 (average) bytes per record,
the 10000 was 10215 and the 32000 was 33394.

HTH
Marco