You would still need to get the data back to the original file, or delete the original and rename the new. But because it is writing the records anew, it would probably do the garbage collection.

There may be a threshold beyond which the cleanup will take place - I saw the non-clean-up behavior on a relatively small file.

My post mentioned RGZPFM vs CPYF, and that one of them did NOT perform garbage collection. The other one did - I forget which. I think RGZPFM did not clean up the auxiliary space. I was surprised, because RGZPFM has always been presented to me as, conceptually, a pair of CPYFs - the first to a temporary file, the second back to the original with MBROPT(*REPLACE) - or something like that.

Memory fails after even a week, so a test is in order.

Vern

At 11:11 AM 7/1/2004, you wrote:
> [...]

I already deleted the message that mentioned that the allocation never goes
down, regardless of reorg or not.  But I wonder, what if you did a CRTDUPOBJ
on the file using DATA(*NO), then used CPYF to populate the new file from
the original.  A test for another day.

db