From: Jeff Crosby [mailto:jlcrosby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 8:42 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: Back to Reverse DNS

I recently started a discussion (twice, actually) about sending email to our
cellphones (xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxx) from the iSeries.  I'll tell you what I
have tried recently.

The iSeries is the mail server "mail.dilgardfoods.com".

We can't send email to the cellphones.  We get a response that it was
undeliverable due to not being able to find cwemail.com.  This happens with
the SNDDST command as well as from Outlook.  The outgoing mail server is
mail.dilgardfoods.com.  It has been suggested to me this is a reverse DNS
problem.

I called Verizon and they didn't understand how it worked at all for any
destination in the above scenario.  They had me change Outlook to use
outgoing.verizon.net as the outgoing mail server.  Then it works from
Outlook.  This doesn't help the SNDDST command however.

If I do CHGSMTPA MAILROUTER('outgoing.verizon.net') FIREWALL(*YES) then I
get a rejection from cwemail (and other places as well) that they do not
accept relayed email.  So I did a CHGSMTPA to set things back so at least we
can send email to the rest of the world.

I'm lost.  Is there some way to tell the iSeries to use something outside
for outgoing mail without it being seen as relayed email?  It was suggested
to me that I simply needed to talk to someone more knowledgeable at Verizon.

Thanks.

--
Jeff Crosby
Dilgard Frozen Foods, Inc.