Subject: Re: Parameter passing, signed numerics and packed values.
From: Dave McKenzie <davemck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc

Saml wrote:

> This tends to happen when a field is defined in a file as signed.
When it
> comes into the program RPG automatically converts it to packed since
this
> is the efficent form that is needed for arithmetic.

I don't mean to take exception to this, but I just wanted to mention
some
interesting (to me anyway) trivia about packed arithmetic on AS/400.

(This comes under the heading "news for nerds," or rather "trivia only a
nerd could love," so anyone who isn't familiar with the term "Slashdot",
and
is therefore not a nerd, will probably want to skip the rest of this
post.)

Actually, packed arithmetic was the efficient form on CISC AS/400's,
which
had machine language instructions for it, but it's not as efficient on
PowerPC's--they do all their arithmetic in binary.

Here's an example.  In the following RPG code:

  C     Z-ADD 0          PACKNUM     11 2
  C     ADD   PACKNUM    PACKT0T     11 2

The first statement generates 6 machine instructions (24 bytes).
The second statement generates 42 machine instructions (168 bytes).

However, I'm not advocating anyone avoid packed decimal.  The
inefficiencies
are trivial compared to, say, bad database design.  I'd guess the dollar
value of all the manhours spent worrying about AS/400 arithmetic
efficiency
in the history of the world vastly exceeds the dollar value of the CPU
cycles saved.

Now the trivia.  Since PowerPC has no decimal arithmetic instructions,
compiler writers had to resort to what I think is a very clever kludge.
Because decimal digits (0-9) are a subset of hexadecimal digits (0-F),
adding decimal digits with a hexadecimal (binary) adder gives the same
result.  Decimal 2 + 3 = 5, the same as x'2' + x'3' = x'5'.  The problem
comes when there's a carry: decimal causes a carry when the result is
greater than 9, while hexadecimal causes a carry when the result is
greater
than 15 (x'F').  Since 15 - 9 = 6, here's the kludge: add 6 to every
digit
before doing hexadecimal addition.  Then the carries will occur for the
same digits as decimal addition.  Of course, you have to compensate for
the
fact that all the digits that didn't carry are 6 too big!

You've heard that AS/400 PowerPC chips have extra machine instructions
handle AS/400 stuff, for example tagged pointers.  They also have an
instruction whose mnemonic is DSIXES.  You'll see it if you use SST to
dump
a program containing decimal arithmetic.  Here's how it works:

If you add two 15-digit (8-byte) packed numbers (where the lo-order sign
has
been replaced with 0):

  1234567890123450
+ 0000009009009090
+ 6666666666666666  added by software to generate decimal carries
  ----------------
= 789ABD6EFF792B46
- 6666660666660606  DSIXES loads 6's for digits that DIDN't have carries
  ----------------
= 1234576899132540

The additions and subtraction are hexadecimal.  The DSIXES instruction
generates an 8-byte value that has 6 in each digit that DIDN't generate
carry in the previous addition, and 0 elsewhere.  Then that's subtracted
from the result to compensate for adding the 6's initially.

I find it amusing that this kludge takes place in the AS/400 every time
it
executes a packed decimal arithmetic statement.  (I know--warped sense
of
humor.)

--Dave

Saml wrote:

> If you then change the
> program and add an external data structure based on the file, RPG is
> forced
> to revert to signed, because that's what the data structure says.
Then