Phillip,

Point is that most email readers can sort by the actual subject-line, so
it's a non-issue.  Or, rather, it's not the big issue it's being made out to
be.  It shows up in the archives as a problem, but who uses the archives as
the PRIMARY source of this information?  (Non-list-members.. anybody else?)
Now, if GMANE or whatever also shows this up as a problem, then mebbe GMANE
is a crappy info-distribution-system, also.

I recently started using the <new> button technique, btw, except where I
wanted to "bury" a post.  Even tho the posts arrive in my email
identically...  No, it's not hard to do but it's easier to screw up than
hitting a <reply> button.  Ever notice posts unintentionally going public or
to wrong list??  <Reply> button might save some-a those, and what have been
the consequences of intended-private mail going public??  Vs. the
consequences of posts getting threaded incorrectly??

(Which, again, is only necessary because a listserv is a LOUSY data store.
EVERY CMS I've ever seen HAS both a <reply to this> AND <new thread>
buttons, iirc.)

jt