From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Clare Holtham
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 2:53 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Performance of batch vs other batch and interactive

Yes!
The first principle of performance tuning is to separate the workloads.
Batch in its own pool (not in *Base), and interactive in its own pool. QCTL
controlling. If you have lots of ODBC etc you can move that out of *Base
also. Lots of important things happen in *Base anyway (file opens, subsystem
monitors, client access, etc etc). Check that you have 'Expert Cache'
enabled (WRKSYSSTS in Expert mode, then F11 and you should see *Calc not
*Fixed against the pools.) If not, change it to *Calc. Over time this will
monitor the workload in the pool and optimize it. If you have a mix of batch
and interactive or anything else, it cannot do this!
Having said this, I think you need to look at how you have these jobs set up
anyway. You have given them quite a short timeslice - maybe a longer one
would work better.
And IBM still ships the QINTER class with a timeslice of 2000 (2 secs) which
is way too long, you should change this to around 200 or 300 (you can
calculate what it should be, but this is a guesstimate) which will give you
better throughput in interactive, which will help generally too.
And if you have these 10 batch jobs in their own memory pool, you can always
'constrain' them be reducing the memory. (Don't forget to turn off the
automatic tuning though.)
I also like the suggestion of having a way to make them wait when you need
to!
Hope this helps,

cheers,

Clare

Clare Holtham
Director, Small Blue Ltd - Archiving for BPCS
Web: www.smallblue.co.uk
IBM Certified AS/400 Systems Professional
E-Mail: Clare.Holtham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mobile: +44 (0)7960 665958