Instead of different versions of WRKQRY in different libraries, you might
want to consider a command exit program on RUNQRY.  RUNQRY is what gets
run under the covers by F5, etc.
As far as a replacement product, let's look at 57xx-ST1 - DB2 Query
Manager and SQL Development Kit for iSeries.  Look at some of the stuff
you can tailor by user:

User profile . . . . . . . . . . . . . :   ACCTG
Description  . . . . . . . . . . . . . :   Profile for testing Integral
Account
Type choices, press Enter.
  Default library for QM objects . . . .   *CURLIB        Name, *CURLIB
  Default object creation authority  . .   *LIBCRTAUT     *CHANGE, *ALL,
*USE
                                                          *EXCLUDE,
*LIBCRTAUT
                                                          Authorization
list
  Run query mode . . . . . . . . . . . .   1              1=Interactive
                                                          2=Batch
  Allow change run query mode  . . . . .   Y              Y=Yes, N=No
  User access level  . . . . . . . . . .   1              1=All, 2=Basic

  Number of rows to use for sample . . .   50             1-100
  Allow interactive sample run . . . . .   Y              Y=Yes, N=No
  Maximum number of rows allowed on
    interactive run  . . . . . . . . . .   *NOMAX         1-*NOMAX
  Display run options  . . . . . . . . .   Y              Y=Yes, N=No
  Confirmation messages in QM  . . . . .   Y              Y=Yes, N=No
  Naming convention  . . . . . . . . . .   *SYS           *SYS, *SAA
  Relational database connection . . . .   *NONE
                                                          Name, *NONE
                                                          *CURRENT
                                                          F4 for list
  RDB Connection method  . . . . . . . .   *RUW           *RUW, *DUW
  Default library for QM tables  . . . .   *NONE          Name, *NONE,
*CURLIB
  Query data output  . . . . . . . . . .   1              1=Display,
2=Printer
                                                          3=File
  Printer to use for output  . . . . . .   *JOB           Name, *JOB
                                                          F4 for list
  File to use for output . . . . . . . .   *NONE          Name, *NONE
                                                          F4 for list
    Library  . . . . . . . . . . . . . .                  Name, *LIBL,
*CURLIB
  Job description for batch run  . . . .   *USRPRF        Name, *USRPRF
                                                          F4 for list
    Library  . . . . . . . . . . . . . .                  Name, *LIBL,
*CURLIB
  Commitment control level . . . . . . .   1              1=None, 2=Change

                                                          3=Cursor
stability
                                                          4=All
                                                          5=Repeatable
Read
  Default query creation mode  . . . . .   2              1=SQL,
2=Prompted
  Allow change query creation mode . . .   Y              Y=Yes, N=No
  Show query sort sequence options . . .   N              Y=Yes, N=No
  Allow access to QM tables  . . . . . .   Y              Y=Yes, N=No
  Default column names displayed . . . .   1              1=Column Names
                                                          2=System column
                                                            names
  Select allowed SQL statements  . . . .   Y              Y=Yes, N=No

Type option to allow the use of the statement, press Enter.
Press F21 to select all.
  1=Select

     SQL                                      SQL
Opt  Statement                           Opt  Statement
     ALTER SEQUENCE                           CREATE INDEX
     ALTER TABLE                              CREATE PROCEDURE
     CALL                                     CREATE SEQUENCE
     COMMENT ON                               CREATE TABLE
     COMMIT                                   CREATE TRIGGER
     CREATE ALIAS                             CREATE VIEW
     CREATE COLLECTION                        DECLARE GLOBAL TEMPORARY
TABLE
     CREATE DISTINCT TYPE                     DELETE
     CREATE FUNCTION                          DROP ALIAS
 More...

Hey, it'll also get you the ability to use imbedded SQL in your HLL
programs.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Adam.Driver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
05/25/2004 12:19 AM
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Query management tools

Hi Everyone,

We're going through an exercise with a client to limit query access based
on job function. We need the ability to choose between long running and
short queries, allow interactive for some users but not others, limit by
CPU time if necessary, and most importantly control the output (ie,
stopping users from being able to generate large files as output, with the
size of their allowed output depending on who they are).

More  than likely we'll write all this ourselves using different jobqs,
different versions of wrkqry in different libraries, etc,. However, we've
also been asked, as part of the process, to research commercial products.
The one I've heard of that does this sort of thing is insure/SQL from
Centerfield Technology. Has anyone used this product? Any comments you'd
be
willing to share?

And of course, if anyone knows of any other product......

Thanks

Adam Driver
Technical Consultant
Kaz Technology Services