Hi Tom,

> I agree. Wish I had time to resolve the [SRV_CLI_VERIFICATION] problem
> that more or less eliminates the possibility of simple creating an
> AS/400 clone. (See, e.g.,
> http://iserverd1.khstu.ru/oscar/snac_01_1f.html for a general
> description.) I'm not sure I could resolve it.

Heh... the GAIM project (http://gaim.sourceforge.net) actually maintains a
table of these hashes, which they serve out from a php script on their web
site.

So, if you use the GAIM client, and AOL asks for a memory hash, the GAIM
client will connect their website, send the offset, length, & modname, and
get back the hash...  and then, of course, it sends the hash back to AOL.

It may be possible to make libfaim (GAIM's OSCAR protocol library -- or
"service program" to use the iSeries term) compile under OS/400, as it's
written in C.  Then, you could just call it from your own HLL...

Another solution to this problem is to implement the TOC protocol instead
of OSCAR.  Since TOC is "blessed" by AOL, it doesn't have this problem.
If all you're doing is sending IMs to people, the additional features of
OSCAR may not be needed.