Dave

You CAN do a lot more with DFU than use option 5. You can create a DFU "executable" that is callable from REXX or CL and has formatting that you want.

Formatted screens are known as display files (DSPFs) on the iSeries. These can be written to a display and read from in CL. Use the DCLF command to bring in the record format definitions. Use the SNDRCVF command to write/read the format. Variables from the DSPF are known to the CL program. Then you could use the command STRQMQRY with a QMQRY object to execute an SQL INSERT statement built from the values you have retrieved. Check out the Application Display Programming manual, available maybe under Programming in InfoCenter, or under supplemental manuals.

I've not verified that REXX can use DSPFs. It would take OVRDSPF STDIN and OVRDSPF STDOUT, but this may not work. There's no way I know of to specify which format of the DSPF to use in REXX. There is a thing called a format selector rogram, but don't know whether that'll work. I think there was a thread here awhiole ago on this topic.

HTH
Vern