> From: Buck Calabro
>
> It is absolutely true that PSC/400 can
> work with hidden fields, but the point is that if PART# goes from 17a
> to 40a, and PART# is already on the display file (visible) then I
> can't see how hidden fields will help without touching the DDS.

Ah, but that's only because you don't have my background of working at
software houses where we've had to do these kinds of things many times
<grin>.

> Jim's
> going to have to edit that DDS to remove the existing reference to
> PART#, right?  Or at least change it from 17a to 40a and hidden.

Not quite.  He has two options: change the existing PART# field to a
hidden field of 40a and rename PART# to PART#Old, or leave PART# as it
is and add a field PART#New as 40a hidden.  This is a VERY easy
mechanical modification.

> That
> might work if he wrote a DDS scanner to rip through QDDSSRC and make
> just that change, then re-compile the affected panels.  Of course now
> they won't be worth much to look at on green screen, but if that's the
> price for a speedy conversion, maybe that's the ticket.

Next, he fixes the programs.  You'll need a small truth table based on
whether he chose option 1 or 2 above, and whether he used the database
field name in his screens (a no-no, but of course one we've all done).
In any case, the next trick is to look for where the field is updated
and add an appropriate MOVE.  Very easy in RPG III/IV using MOVEs, less
easy with EVAL, even less easy with /free.

A few gotchas with data structures and the like, which can be flagged
for manual review, but then the rest can be done mechanically (and lest
you think I'm being glib, remember that mechanical code change is my
specialty).

> His first post indicated hundreds of displays and no time/money
> budget.  I gathered Jim was looking for an easy way out.  Some tool
> that could essentially bypass the DDS layer altogether.  I most
> certainly may have read too much into it though, and perhaps PSC
> (http://www.plutabrothers.com) or aXes (http://www.linomasoftware.com)
> along with some automated DDS-editing can be of service.  There's
> nothing to lose by looking...

I have no idea how aXes could help.  It's an XML solution based on the
5250 data stream as far as I recall; I don't think they have access to
hidden fields.  But PSC/400 does because of its unique architecture.

As to price, I don't usually worry about that.  I write tools, so I have
a specific target audience.  Tools work best for people with lots of
programs and limited time.  In that scenario, tools are always cheaper
than labor.

Joe
http://www.plutabrothers.com