In this method, I'm inclined to get away from CPYTOPCD - that goes to the DLO system only (QDLS) and requires 8.3 naming conventions, as well as enrollment in the system directory. All that is avoided with CPYTOSTMF.

Another option is to use InfoPrint Server (V5R1 and above, I think). This can create a PDF directly from a spooled file - you "print" to a device that creates a PDF in the IFS of the iSeries. It can also "print" to an email address, to go directly to users. Some setup is required for all this to work smoothly, maybe a little programming.

All in all, no best way, probably.

HTH
Vern