Buck & Joe - I actually was thinking it would take a DDS change,
at least to format where to put it. Some of these screens are
subfiles, some not. The statements about quick & cheap
had more to do with not taking this time to rebuild
everything with a Java/websphere approach.
jim

Hi Joe!
Good to see you posting...  It is absolutely true that PSC/400 can
work with hidden fields, but the point is that if PART# goes from 17a
to 40a, and PART# is already on the display file (visible) then I
can't see how hidden fields will help without touching the DDS.  Jim's
going to have to edit that DDS to remove the existing reference to
PART#, right?  Or at least change it from 17a to 40a and hidden.  That
might work if he wrote a DDS scanner to rip through QDDSSRC and make
just that change, then re-compile the affected panels.  Of course now
they won't be worth much to look at on green screen, but if that's the
price for a speedy conversion, maybe that's the ticket.

His first post indicated hundreds of displays and no time/money
budget.  I gathered Jim was looking for an easy way out.  Some tool
that could essentially bypass the DDS layer altogether.  I most
certainly may have read too much into it though, and perhaps PSC
(http://www.plutabrothers.com) or aXes (http://www.linomasoftware.com)
along with some automated DDS-editing can be of service.  There's
nothing to lose by looking...
  --buck