> From: Buck Calabro
>
> Any DDS-based 'webifying' tool will still require that you change the
> DDS to match the new database fields.  These products won't let you
> get around changing the DDS, if that's what you're after.  The DDS has
> to be right (match the HLL) before any of these tools will work
> properly.

This is not entirely true.  The screen-scraper tools will not be able to
use more than what is on the screen.  However, an intrusive approach
such as PSC/400 can allow an intermediate approach by using hidden
fields.  This is one of the tradeoffs with enhancers vs. scrapers.

To handle your business case, you would simply add hidden fields to your
screen for the longer fields.  The older programs could still be used by
performing MOVEL into and out of the shorter displayable screen field,
with the obvious limitation that you'd only be able to access the first
17 bytes of the screen.  But the browser version would be able to access
the entire 40 characters of hidden data.

This feature is one that we find particularly appealing for PSC/400 -
you can add web-specific enhancements (hyperlinks, images, and so on)
without having to find space on your green-screen displays.

Joe