From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Vern Hamberg
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 11:36 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Can SQL "simulate" a multiple format logical file with a
join?

GA, I would say yes, with a little work.

You want to use UNIONs - a separate SELECT for each PFILE of you
multi-format logical. Add a "format indicator" field in each SELECT.
This
indicator should put the records in the same order as the PFILEs are.
The
rest of the fields in each PFILE should be concatenated into a single
character (or hex?) field, long enough for the file with the longest
data.

Something like

SELECT INVDIS, INVSCH, INVSTU, INVDAT, INVNUM, '0' AS INDIC, INVDATA
     FROM INVOICE
UNION
SELECT PMTDIS, PMTSCH, PMTSTU, PMTDAT, PMTNUM, '1', PMTDATA
     FROM PAYMENT
ORDER BY INVDIS, INVSCH, INVSTU, INVDAT, INVNUM, INDIC

Then, as you fetch the records, have DS's that break out the data in
INVDATA and PMTDATA. Depending on the value of INDIC, move the
respective
data field into its DS.

I think you want the indicator last in the key.

HTH
Vern