Depending on the controllers a RAID set (ignoring RAID-0 or mirroring) can
now have from 3 to 18 disks.  With three disks the parity information is
spread over 2 drives.  With 4 to 7 it's spread over 4 drives, with 8 to 15
it's spread over 8 drives, and with 16 to 18 it's spread over 16 drives.
Note that many configurations can not physically attach more than 15
drives to a RAID controller.  Previously a RAID-5 set required a minimum
of 4 disks and parity information was only spread over either 4 or 8
drives.

...Neil

"Carl Galgano" <cgalgano2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
2004/04/20 12:08

"'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Parity Set Configuration Advice

Chad, I thought a raid set had to be at least 4 drives?  At least it used
be that way.  Has this changed?

Carl J. Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
600 Kennesaw Avenue, Suite 400
Marietta, GA  30060
(770) 422-2995 - voice
(419) 730-8212 - fax
mailto:cgalgano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ediconsulting.com
AS400 EDI, Networking, E-Commerce and Communications Consulting and
Implementation
http://www.icecreamovernight.com
Premium Ice Cream Brands shipped Overnight

Visit our website to subscribe to our FREE AS/400 Timesharing Service