Mike:

It's been years since I looked at QHST log *msgq details, but I recall
something along the lines of a requirement to execute DSPLOG before reading the
QHSTxxx physical files. The deal was that messages still on the QHST *msgq were
not yet written to the QHSTxxx files and DSPLOG caused a flush of the messages.
Might be misremembered and behavior might have changed in later releases.

Regardless, if you're actually interested in items such as drive failures, I'd
suggest the QSYSMSG route that was previously mentioned. Monitoring QSYSMSG is
bound to be more timely than just about anything you can do with QHSTxxx.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.