Thanks all you guys.

Carl: PTFs can be installed from an image in V5R2, but I can't get iPTF to
create the images for me, and haven't figured out how to create them myself
from physical media.

Charles: That's what I thought, too (about the ISO or BIN image) but it sure
doesn't seem to be documented and I talked to IBM about it and the IBM guy
definitely did not seem to think you could do that. I haven't tried it. If I
do, I'll keep you posted. I don't know what to name the images when I put
them up in the IFS.

Mark: Because I can't get that far with iPTF. For some reason, even if you
choose the option to have it generate images which you'll subsequently FTP
to your machine, something (on your iSeries I think) still needs to
establish a connection back to the applet running on my PC. Somewhere along
the way, the applet must look up the IP address the PC it is running on, and
it gets it wrong. "Wrong" meaning it gets the address of the PC on my home
network, which is a local 192.168 address because I'm behind a firewall
doing NAT, instead of the virtual address assigned to my PC's VPN client,
which is really the one it needs to use if the iSeries intends to talk back
to the PC. Now why in the world it does this, I have no idea. I think I've
been adequately identified by the time I got that far, and it should just
create the (@*&^$_ images on the FTP server and tell me where they are, but
that isn't the way it works at the moment. I think IBM would work with me on
making an enhancement but I haven't had time to pursue it. Could also be
something about the particular VPN client my employer uses.