We ran into this problem last week.  We could send mail to some sites (such as
yahoo.com), but not others (such as excite.com).  The message was the same.  We
never fully understood why it happened, but the prevailing theory is that some
sites require a reverse DNS lookup and others don't.  When coming from the
AS/400, our domain was PEN400.3cc.co.wayne.mi.us.  However, since this isn't
registered on the internet, the address could not be validated.  Our corporate
(for lack of a better term) email domain is 3cc.co.wayne.mi.us and is
registered on the internet.

The solution (or work-around) for us was to change the SMTP domain for the
users on the AS/400 to match the corporate mail server.  This "masks" the
e-mail to look as if it came from Groupwise instead of the AS/400.

Let me know if you need more details.

Thanks,

Todd Kidwell (Netstar)
AS/400 System Administrator
(313) 224-0578

>>> "Jeff Crosby" <jlcrosby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 04/01/04 03:39PM >>>
> A few things I would be concerned about, your AS400 does not
> seam to be an MX record in your domain, your IP address
> resolves back to a DSL name. I would have to bet that they
> check email going to a phone pretty close to make sure it is
> not spam. And that stuff makes it look like spam.

I gather what you are saying is there is a problem because our iSeries at
192.168.0.1 is "as400.dilgard.com" on our internal network and my email
address is "@dilgardfoods.com"?  Out iSeries does not have an externally
routable IP address.  It's behind a firewall and router.

I'm dense on this stuff.  If the above is what you're trying to say, you'll
have to explain it in more detail.  Why isn't it a problem when I email
elsewhere?

--
Jeff Crosby
<HTML><HEAD>
the prevailing theory is that some sites require a reverse DNS lookup and
others
don't.&nbsp; When coming from the AS/400, our domain was
PEN400.3cc.co.wayne.mi.us.&nbsp; However, since this isn't registered on the
internet, the address could not be validated.&nbsp; Our corporate (for lack of
better term) email domain is 3cc.co.wayne.mi.us and is registered on the
internet.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>The solution (or work-around) for us was to change the SMTP
domain for the users on the AS/400 to match the corporate mail server.&nbsp;
This "masks" the e-mail to look as if it came from Groupwise instead of the
AS/400.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>Let me know if you need more details.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Todd Kidwell (Netstar)<BR>AS/400 System Administrator<BR>(313)
224-0578<BR><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; "Jeff Crosby" &lt;jlcrosby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;
04/01/04 03:39PM &gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt; A few things I would be concerned about,
your AS400 does not <BR>&gt; seam to be an MX record in your domain, your IP
address <BR>&gt; resolves back to a DSL name. I would have to bet that they
<BR>&gt; check email going to a phone pretty close to make sure it is <BR>&gt;
not spam. And that stuff makes it look like spam. <BR><BR>I gather what you are
saying is there is a problem because our iSeries at<BR>192.168.0.1 is
"as400.dilgard.com" on our internal network and my email<BR>address is
"@dilgardfoods.com"?&nbsp; Out iSeries does not have an externally<BR>routable
IP address.&nbsp; It's behind a firewall and router.<BR><BR>I'm dense on this
stuff.&nbsp; If the above is what you're trying to say, you'll<BR>have to
explain it in more detail.&nbsp; Why isn't it a problem when I
email<BR>elsewhere?<BR><BR>-- <BR>Jeff Crosby<BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>